Your documents can easily be moved / migrated from a file server to MetaShare in Office 365.
- All migrated documents retain their existing file properties (filename, created, modified, created by and modified by).
- An alternative is to keep all unique permissions that have been set on existing folders and / or documents on the file server.
- Another option is to only migrate documents that have been created up to a specific time. Documents that are older can probably be deleted.
- Your users will be able to access and manage the migrated documents with the same folder structure as you had on the file server.
- Your users will be able to manage the archived documents in the same way as the active documents.
- The migrated documents will be indexed by SharePoint’s search engine, making it easy for users to search for them.
- When the documents are in MetaShare, you can more easily set rules, with the ambition of only retaining documents that have a value to the organization.
- After migrating the documents, you can decommission the file server.
The process is simple, in the following steps:
- Set up a configuration in MetaShare for the documents to be migrated from the file server
- Create one or more archive workspaces in MetaShare
- Migrate your documents to one or more archive workspaces using SharePoint Migration Manager
- We recommend that you only allow moving from or deletion in archive workspaces so that active documents can be moved to more suitable workspaces.
Read more about how to migrate your documents to MetaShare in our administrator manual.